Manuscript
Steve Sachs Duke
vine

Blog

Wednesday, July 09, 2003

(contact)

Thought for the day: From Robert Nozick's Anarchy, State, and Utopia, p. 174.
Locke views property rights in an unowned object as originating through someone's mixing his labor with it....

Why does mixing one's labor with something make one the owner of it? Perhaps because one owns one's labor, and so one comes to own a previously unowned thing that becomes permeated with what one owns. Ownership seeps over into the rest. But why isn't mixing what I own with what I don't own a way of losing what I own rather than a way of gaining what I don't? If I own a can of tomato juice and spill it in the sea so that its molecules (made radioactive, so I can check this) mingle evenly throughout the sea, do I thereby come to own the sea, or have I foolishly dissipated my tomato juice?

 


::

::

Blog Archives

Front page
Archive
XML Feed

::

© 2011 Stephen E. Sachs


 

Anglia Regnum